About the Conservancy’s Annual Preservation Awards
The Santa Monica Conservancy has recognized exemplary contributions to preservation in Santa Monica with awards at the Annual Meeting since 2004. Each year the Conservancy presents Preservation Awards to individuals, building owners and businesses representing exemplary contributions to the preservation of Santa Monica’s architectural and cultural heritage. The site-specific awards are made in the following categories:
- Cultural Heritage: projects such as exhibitions, performances, social practice, cultural mapping, etc. with a focus on sharing history and stories about place and the built environment
- Media: published work with a focus on the history and stories of place and the built environment
- Restoration: historically authentic work that focuses on bringing a building back to its original condition.
- Rehabilitation: work, in conformance with the Secretary of Interior Standards for Treatment of Historic Properties, that brings a historical building back into service.
- Renovation: remodeling and renewing, or mixing modern design in with appropriate work on a historic building.
- Adaptive Reuse: adaptation of a historic structure to a new use, ideally with minimal impact on the structure’s character-defining features.
- Stewardship: long-term care and maintenance of a historic building or place.
Awards for individuals, groups or organizations include the President’s, Volunteer, and Service Awards. In addition, the Conservancy also occasionally presents the David G Cameron Preservation Award to individuals or organizations in recognition of their outstanding accomplishments in preserving Santa Monica’s unique heritage, and for promoting the value of historic preservation in the city.
View a recording of our Awards presentation on June 10, 2023:
Cultural Heritage Award: Broadway to Freeway
Santa Monica History Museum
Santa Monica History Museum
Rob Schwenker, Executive Director
Sara Crown, former Curator
Anne Wallentine, Curator & Collections Manager
Lisa Dannenbaum, Communications and Content Manager
Sue Gabriel Potter, President
Kathleen Rawson, Board Chair
Quinn Research Center—Carolyne and Bill Edwards, Directors
Santa Monica Conservancy—Nina Fresco, Board of Directors
Santa Monica Public Library
Susan Lamb, Principal Librarian
Kathy Lo, Librarian
The Santa Monica History Museum’s exhibition, Broadway to Freeway: Life and Times of a Vibrant Community featured the tight-knit neighborhood along Broadway, built by African American, Mexican American and immigrant communities in the mid-20th century. With period photographs, advertisements, oral histories, and songs drawn from the collections of the Quinn Research Center, the Museum, and the Santa Monica Public Library, the exhibit focused on the neighborhood’s families, businesses, churches, and civic and educational institutions. The community was forcibly displaced, and many of its buildings demolished in the 1960s to build the 10 Freeway. Broadway to Freeway has helped bring the stories, meaning and impact of this historically significant community back into public memory.
Cultural Heritage Award: Culture Mapping 90404
18th Street Arts Center
Jan Williamson – Executive Director
Kim Russo – Deputy Director
Michael Ano – Senior Director of Public Engagement
Sue Bell Yank – former Director of Communications and Outreach
Jeny Amaya – Filmmaker
Dr. Annette Kim – USC Sol Price School of Public Policy
Facilitated by 18th Street Arts Center (18SAC), Culture Mapping 90404 is a community produced Geographic Information System (GIS) Story map that highlights the history and cultural assets of the city’s Pico neighborhood. Since many cultural assets carry historic significance, the process of collecting and sharing their stories is central to keeping history alive through place. This is especially important in the Pico Neighborhood which until recently, was largely ignored by history keepers and unknown to new residents. In collaboration with the Alliance for California Traditional Arts, 18SAC trained community volunteers to document the people, places, events, and organizations that serve as anchors of the Pico community, for inclusion in the map. Since 2015, over 150 oral histories have been gathered and made available on the website. The map informs city policy, strategies in community-building and a number of 18SAC artist-led projects. Earlier this year, the center was awarded a $3.3 million dollar grant from the California Arts Council to expand the project into other communities statewide. Explore the map at, culturemapping90404.org.
Rehabilitation and Adaptive Reuse Award:
Sears Building, 302 Colorado Avenue
Owner – Seritage Growth Properties
Architect – House and Robertson Architects
Structural Engineer – Nabih Youssef Structural Engineers
MEP Engineers – ARC Engineering
Historic Preservation Consulting – Historic Resources Group
Landscape Architect – L.A. Group Design Works
Contractor – VCC Construction
Owner – Heritage Growth Properties
Architect – House and Robertson Architects
Structural Engineer – Nabih Youssef Structural Engineers
MEP Engineer – ARC Engineering
Historic Preservation Consulting – Historic Resources Group
Landscape Architect – L.A. Group Design Works
Contractor – VCC Construction
Designed by architect Rowland H. Crawford (Brentwood Country Mart, Times-Mirror Building), the former Sears department store opened in 1946 to capitalize on post-war consumer demand. Sears closed its downtown Santa Monica store in 2017 and the designated City landmark was purchased by real estate investment firm Seritage Growth Properties who launched an ambitious program to adaptively reuse the building as retail and office space. The project team referenced original photographs and design/construction drawings to replicate original materials and details, removed years of ad hoc modifications and successfully brought the building back to its original clean art deco styling. Structural modifications included interior concrete shear walls and carbon fiber reinforcing of the existing structure. In addition, the team worked to bring in more natural light through a large skylight on the roof and a central opening and smaller skylights on the third floor while preserving the intact historic facades.
The Georgian Hotel, 1415 Ocean Avenue
Owners – BLVD Hospitality & ESI Ventures
Architect – HLW Design
Interior Design – Fettle
The Street Seen, Mark Gorman
Ocean Park local and street historian Mark Gorman has published his popular blog, The Street Seen, twice a month since January of 2020. His work focuses on the people, places and forces that have shaped Santa Monica’s Ocean Park neighborhood over time. By investigating this relatively small collection of streets from Lincoln Boulevard to the ocean, and Pico Boulevard to the southern border at Venice, Gorman has built a comprehensive context for understanding the neighborhood today. His self-described “intermittent observations (without commentary),” prove that the remaining traces of the history of Ocean Park are everywhere. Gorman’s blog demonstrates both affection for and deep curiosity about Ocean Park that have undoubtedly increased the public’s shared appreciation for local heritage and contributed to the neighborhood’s sense of community.
To read the The Street Seen, visit https://opnews.substack.com.
Catherine Conkle’s contributions to the Conservancy demonstrate a deep affection for the city, commitment to preservation and an astute sensibility. As the youngest member of our Board of Directors, Conkle founded the Preservation Next affinity group in 2019 to cultivate the next generation of preservationists. Members meet for lectures, tours, and social events and connect over the issues they care about. Conkle believes that historic preservation helps us tell the story of the community, while also celebrating architecture, design, and sustainability. She particularly loves learning about the inspirations and motivations of the people who create the built environment. Conkle previously chaired the Preservation Resource Center Committee and was instrumental in the development of the virtual tour capability.
Robin Venturelli became a charter docent for the Annenberg Community Beach House tour program in 2009. Ever since, she has made many outstanding and significant contributions to the program and social cohesion of the group, due to her enthusiasm, spirit, and care she brings to the program and her fellow docents. As a member of the Docent Council, Venturelli creates a video screening of the year in review for each annual Volunteer Party. She also regularly compiles collections of vintage music to animate the Council’s get-togethers. Perhaps her most enchanting contribution is her portrayal of Marion Davies at Beach House’s annual Marion Davies birthday celebrations. Her sparkle and vivacity capture Marion’s personality, allowing partygoers to feel as if Marion Davies were actually present.
View a recording of our Awards presentation on June 5, 2022:
Rehabilitation Award: 227 Beach Street
Owner: Valencia Homes
Architect: Duvivier Architects
Contractor: K and J Partners
Built in 1924, the 13-unit bungalow court at the northwest corner of Beach and 2nd Streets is a contributor to Santa Monica’s first historic district, Third Street Neighborhood Historic District.
When purchased by new owner Valencia Homes in 2017, evidence of deferred maintenance was extensive, and most units were vacant. Administrative approval for in-kind replacement of windows and exterior painting was granted in the same year. The original wood sash double-hung windows were replicated. However, during construction, water damage and mold were discovered in the stucco walls and eventually all the stucco was removed to waterproof the walls. A Certificate of Appropriateness application was made for a gate and fencing of the central courtyard and new landscaping, but the owner ultimately decided to leave the main courtyard open to the street.
The owner preserved features of the property significant to its historic, architectural, and cultural values while updating the units to support their return to the rental market.
Rehabilitation Award: 401 Ocean
Owners: Tabit Ventures LLC, Mark and Jill Tabit, Sally and Jack Joyce, Mike and Stephanie Origer
Developer: The McGregor Company
Architects: Kaplan Chen Kaplan Architects
Howard Laks Associates
Construction: John P. Ingram Construction
Landscape Architect: KSA Design Studio
Interior Designer: GeGe Pender
Structural Engineer: John A. Martin
MEP Engineer: California Energy Designs, Inc.
Land Use Attorney: Harding Larmore Kutcher & Kozal
The landmark two-story American Colonial-style Henry Weyse/Charles Morris House was designed by noted architect Robert Farquhar and constructed in 1910. Located in northern Santa Monica, the residence features curving bays at the front porch, a wood pergola along Georgina Avenue, and a façade finished with a rigorous pattern of long, canted wood shingles.
During the past century, the residence served several families, and for a period during WWII, was converted to a boarding house. The building underwent a series of awkward interior modifications and needed significant long-deferred maintenance as well as full re-working of building services and utilities. The wood pergola was highly deteriorated and the landscape with large trees was left unmanaged.
Under the ownership of Tabit Ventures, the exterior was fully rehabilitated, including new matching redwood shingles aligned to match the original pattern and refurbished original wood windows. The landscape was renewed, the hardscape was reconstructed with original patterns, and the redwood pergola was reconstructed to match. The interior was developed as two townhouses, each with a ground floor and upper-level view of Palisades Park and the Pacific Ocean. The front second-floor roof deck was developed as a usable terrace to enjoy the ocean breezes.
A new building with three additional units was added behind the residence to support the overall rehabilitation. A simple, modern design was developed to be compatible with the property without impacting the landmark residence.
Stewardship Award: Annenberg Community Beach House
City of Santa Monica
Venue Manager, Annenberg Community Beach House: Nan Friedman
Beach Recreation Supervisor: Heath Hamilton
Assistant Director, Public Works: Christopher Dishlip
CIP Project Manager,Architecture Services Division: Brian Ochoa
Senior Design Manager, Architecture Services Division: Amelia Feichtner
Architectural Associate, Architecture Services Division: Linda Cogswell
Historic Preservation Consultant: Page & Turnbull
Contractor for Pool Rehabilitation: K.C. Restoration
Designed by acclaimed architect Julia Morgan and built in 1929, the landmark Guest House and pool at the Annenberg Community Beach House form the historic core of this destination site owned by the City of Santa Monica, which opened for public use in 2009.
The pool rehabilitation involved challenges in matching original materials, colors, and finishes due its patterned marble deck and its interior lined with unique tiles designed by Morgan. Repainting the Guest House restored its appearance while retaining its vintage quality. Historic artifacts found on-site were conserved and carefully stored in special containers, while one wallpaper fragment has been treated and is being evaluated for a future interpretive exhibit.
The Annenberg Community Beach House consistently adhered to high standards for preserving and managing their historic assets.
Rehabilitation Award: Purser Apartments
Owner: Wilshire Skyline, Inc.
Managing Principal: Alan Nissel, Wilshire Skyline
CFO: Nona Ghulian, Wilshire Skyline
Owner’s Rep: Joseph Kaplan, KCG Consulting
Project Manager: Jorge Rosales
Historic Architect: Robert Jay Chattel, Chattel Inc.
Architect: Roberto Vazquez, Omgivning
General Contractor: Mr. Build Construction
Construction: Benny Pelerman, Premier Construction Inc.
Roofing & Paving: Rainbow Construction
Interior Design: Willa Ford and Amy Nece, WFord Interiors
Constructed in 1913, the landmark four-story apartment building is a longstanding feature of the Ocean Front Beach Walk and Muscle Beach scene. The five-arch colonnade at 1659 Ocean Front Walk has been memorialized by generations of photograph- ers and tourists as a backdrop for body builders on Santa Monica’s beachfront. In the landmark designation for the Purser Apartments, Landmarks Commissioners noted it as a familiar feature south of the Santa Monica Pier.
Utilizing the scope of rehabilitation and treatments outlined in a Mills Act contract, Wilshire Skyline has systematically rehabilitated and restored the Purser Apartments toward the building’s original appearance. Non-original polystyrene lintels, trims and applied shutters were removed. Aluminum sliding windows were replaced with double-hung sash windows to match the originals. The stucco surface was refinished, removing the applied texture. Extensive deferred maintenance was provided for roofing and waterproofing, and highly deteriorated doors were replaced or refurbished. The interiors were also upgraded for contemporary living.
Volunteer Service Awards: Steve Loeper & Libby Motika
Volunteer Service Awards go to Steve Loeper and Libby Motika, Co-Chairs of the Santa Monica Conservancy’s Program Committee, for their leadership in developing and presenting the Santa Monica Mosaic webinar series. Responding to the Covid-19 lockdown and the national outcry over the death of George Floyd, our Program Committee committed to exploring themes of cultural history and identity for marginalized communities and those who have suffered from racial and social injustice. The Mosaic concept highlights different cultural elements which, when combined, comprise the diverse cultural communities of Santa Monica and the Westside.
The series launched with a webinar about the Gabrieleño/Tongva Native American history and experience. Since then, the series has featured the stories of African Americans, Japanese Americans, Mexican Americans, and Jewish communities. In April the series focused on exiled Jewish artists who settled in Santa Monica Canyon during WWII. And Mosaic continues this summer.
The Conservancy is very grateful for the invaluable contributions that Loeper and Motika have made to our educational resources with this important series aptly called Mosaic.
View a recording of our Awards presentation on May 16, 2021:
Rehabilitation Award: 423 – 429 Ocean Avenue, Andrew Enayati, Nina Properties
This designated historic landmark, originally constructed in 1936 with an added wing in 1950 is an excellent example of the American Colonial Revival-style as applied to a garden apartment complex. The property consists of three, two-story multi-family buildings arranged in a U-shape courtyard, all designed by noted architect William E Foster.
Numerous proposals for the project were put forward over the past 15 years that included demolition or partial demolition with additions to the historic property. Long-deferred maintenance left the buildings with substantial deterioration of exterior finishes with the potential to compromise integrity. The current owners instead began a process of refurbishment and rehabilitation of the existing buildings including full upgrades of utilities, refinished exterior, new wood shingle roof and restored landscape. A significant effort for rehabilitation and restoration was undertaken to bring the historic landmark back to its fullest potential.
Cultural Resource Award: Belmar History + Art
Project Artist: April Banks
Project Historian: Alison Rose Jefferson, Ph.D.
Belmar History + Art Community Advisory Committee: Kathleen Benjamin, Janeen Jackson, Robbie Jones
Lesson Plan Coordinator: Daniel Diaz, Ed D, UCLA History Geography Project
City of Santa Monica: Susan Cline, Assistant City Manager; Shannon Daut, Cultural Affairs Manager; Lane Dilg, Interim City Manager; Amelia Feichtner, Senior Architect; Delana Gbenekama, Equity and Communications Coordinator; Naomi Okuyama, Cultural Affairs Supervisor, Public Art
Belmar History + Art commemorates the early African American neighborhoods of Santa Monica and the contributions of their residents to the city.
The first African Americans settled in Santa Monica in the late 19th Century. Many settled in the Belmar Triangle, an area now occupied by the Civic Center, as well as the neighborhoods around Philips Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church at 4th and Bay Streets and north of Santa Monica High School. As the city grew, this thriving African American community was displaced by both explicit and subtle discriminatory policies. The Belmar neighborhood was finally demolished for redevelopment in the 1950s to make way for the Civic Auditorium.
The outdoor exhibition encircles the new sports field at Pico Boulevard and 4th Street. It features a sculptural artwork, A Resurrection in Four Stanzas, designed by social practice artist April Banks, and interpretive story panels based on the work of historian Alison Rose Jefferson, Ph.D. These are described in a site guide published in English and Spanish, and curricular materials were also developed.
The project was inspired in part by the California Coastal Commission’s initiative to integrate the principles of environmental justice, equality and social equity in the coastal zone and was funded through the City’s Percent for Art Program. For more information, see https://www.santamonica.gov/arts/belmar.
Rehabilitation & Adaptive Reuse Award: Hotel Hart/Mar Vista Hotel and Apartments
1305 Second Street
Owner: Wilshire Skyline and Kings Arch
Architect: KFA Architecture
Historic Architect: Chattel, Inc.
Contractor: DSN Group, Inc.
Preservation Contractor: Spectra Company
The architecturally distinctive Renaissance Revival-style Hotel Hart/Mar Vista Hotel and Apartments, constructed in 1914, is a designated Santa Monica landmark. After over a hundred years, the 3-story, buff-colored/gold-speckled brick, U-shaped building still strongly conveys its significance in early 20th century development of Santa Monica as a resort community.
Carefully rehabilitated for adaptive reuse as commercial office space, the exterior unreinforced masonry, wood windows, metal cornice, penthouse, fire escape, metal balconies, entrance portico, balconies and central courtyard were cleaned, repaired and beautifully restored to their original appearance. The masonry, foundations and penthouse were seismically upgraded, and improvements for accessibility were completed, along with installation of landscape and lighting improvements and new MEP systems to bring the property back into serviceable use.
Restoration Award: Mendota Block
2663 Main Street
Owner: Redcar Properties, Jim Jacobsen
Preservation Consultant: GPA Historic Consulting
Building Renovation Services: Bielski Building Restoration
Who would have thought that the red brick Mendota Block on Main and Hill, with awnings over Starbucks, had a secret identity? The Landmarks Commission named it a landmark in 2014, based upon its 1913 construction date as an early commercial brick building on Main Street, and its association with the artist James Turrell, who owned the building from 1966-1974 and developed his unique work with light there.
When Redcar Properties purchased the building in 2018, their historic consultant found that fake “historic” alterations had undermined its authenticity. Stripping off many layers of red-brown paint, removing a false cornice, removing stucco on the ground floor, removing non-original windows and awnings, revealed many surprises. The original brick colors are highly unusual, with tan bricks creating architectural divisions on grey brick, and an ornate frieze near the roofline. Wood storefronts and double-hung windows were restored. The resulting restoration reveals the building’s original identity, hidden for so many years.
Rehabilitation Award: 2518-2522 4th Street
Owners: Berta Negari, Daniel Negari, XYZ Rent, LLC
Structural Engineer: Alpha Structural
Contractor: XYZ Rent, LLC
Designer: Moji Ghadessi, XYZ Rent, LLC
This Spanish Colonial triplex, constructed in 1936, came to the Conservancy’s attention in 2018 because a demolition permit application was filed. At the Conservancy’s urging, it was designated as a Structure of Merit, and subsequently was incorporated into the Fourth Street Corner Historic District. At that time, the basement unit was uninhabitable, exterior stucco cladding had been partially removed to inspect structural problems, and the building suffered from long term deferred maintenance.
XYZ Rents, a company that rehabilitates rental properties, has done a comprehensive rehabilitation to give the building new life. Structural stabilization required extensive work, replacing the foundation and dry-rotted wood. Plumbing and electrical systems were replaced, and repairs made inside and out. Three feet were added to the basement unit to make it habitable. Overgrown shrubs in front were removed to reveal picture windows on the façade. All work was done by faithfully matching the historic materials and design, including paint colors. Rehabilitation of the rear structure with garages and dwelling units was also undertaken. The rehabilitation work took two years to complete.
Stewardship Award: 1001 Maple Street, Kathy Solomon and Bob Burchman
When this 1912 Craftsman home in Sunset Park was purchased in 1997, the new owners were given undated historic photos showing many changes in the dilapidated home.
Inspired by the photos, and undeterred by professional advice not to attempt it, they removed the stucco encasing the original shingles and rebuilt the porch stairs and pillars in their original locations. They restored the original front door, salvaged most of the existing shingles and, where possible, retained the original windows. More recent work included rebuilding of the steps leading down to the sidewalk, where the original retaining walls remain in place. The interior was relatively intact and many of the historic light fixtures were found, repaired, and reinstalled.
The creative rehabilitation of 1001 Maple is very much in the spirit of the Craftsman aesthetic.
Take a visual tour and learn about the work behind the scenes. Preservation Awards Part 1 features the Santa Monica Professional Building, Tartine Bakery, Villa Vicente and the Bay Street Beach Historic District. Preservation Awards Part 2 features the E.J. Carrillo Residence, 518 Adelaide Drive, 143 Wadsworth Avenue and Kay Pattison will be available next week.
President’s Award: Santa Monica Professional Building
as part of the Proper Hotel at 700 Wilshire Boulevard
This 1928 landmark building has been rehabilitated and adaptively reused as 55 rooms with ground floor commercial space as part of the new Proper Hotel. The five-story building was refurbished, including rehabilitated steel windows and storefronts, restored interior circulation spaces and significant seismic improvements. The historic building is linked to a much larger development on the remainder of the block. In a unique process with extensive public process and design review, the project team developed a compatible new structure with a compelling modern expression in harmony with the historic building.
Rehabilitation Award: Villa Vicente
234 Vicente Boulevard
Villa Vicente, a two-story, 20-unit apartment building built in 1953 is a contributor to the San Vicente Courtyard Apartments Historic District and a striking example of simple modernism that remains remarkably intact. Original aluminum windows have been refurbished and inappropriate changes such as sliding windows have been replaced with aluminum sash to match. Stairs and railings that surround and enliven the courtyard were all repaired and refurbished. The project has added long-term life to this historic property and represents the successful use of the Mills Act program in preserving and enhancing the historic resources of Santa Monica.
Rehabilitation & Adaptive Reuse Award: Tartine Bakery, CIM Group
1925 Arizona Avenue
Built in 1933, the former Gates, Kingsley & Gates Moeller Murphy Funeral Directors chapel was converted into a bakery and full-service restaurant for Tartine, which opened in March 2020. The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards guided the sensitive rehabilitation of the Tudor Revival style building throughout the project. The chapel’s cruciform plan was the basis for the restaurant’s interior layout, and materials, colors, fenestration shapes and stucco finish details on the exterior were unchanged. The extensive scope of work included structural repairs and upgrade of electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems, as well as the addition of fire sprinkler and fire alarm systems, restroom facilities and interior and exterior accessibility upgrades to meet the requirements of the new use.
Cultural Landscape Award: Bay Street Beach National Register Nomination and Listing
Alison Rose Jefferson, Ph.D., and Michael Blum
The Bay Street Beach Historic District became Santa Monica’s first district in the National Register of Historic Places in 2019. The 53-acre district recognizes and celebrates an intact African American seaside cultural landscape. During the Jim Crow era, the beach was self-selected by African Americans as a place of recreation and leisure where its visitors felt relatively safe from racist harassment. At this time, fewer than five percent of the listings in the National Register are associated with communities of color. The successful nomination required extensive documentation and advocacy by author and historian Alison Rose Jefferson, Ph.D., and Michael Blum, Executive Director of Sea of Clouds, a nonprofit focusing on coastal heritage conservation/historic preservation and environmental conservation.
Rehabilitation Award: E.J. Carrillo Residence
1602 Georgina Avenue
This distinctive 1924 adobe home designed by famed local architect John Byers was extensively rehabilitated, preserving its exterior character and integrity. Major architectural features were restored or replaced in-kind. All the exterior plaster stucco was retained and preserved, as well as the distinctive roof tile and roofing system. The brick patio area was lovingly restored – the bricks had all been pulled up and stockpiled in the yard. The front porch was restored and porch pavers repaired. Original windows were preserved while non-operable shutters on the façade which did not appear to be original were removed, bringing back the simple Mexican vernacular of the Byers design. Owners John and Ali De Neufville and architect Paul Williger are proud and dedicated stewards of this important historic home.
Stewardship Award: 518 Adelaide Drive, Barry & Sharla Boehm
This unusual example of French Norman Revival architecture has been the home of the Boehm family since 1968. With very few changes made over the years, the distinctive charm of this historic 1925 home has been carefully tended. In 2019, Barry Boehm decided to preserve his house in perpetuity by nominating it for Santa Monica landmark designation. This particular style, inspired by French provincial architecture going back to the middle ages, is an unusual variant of the Period Revival styles that were prevalent in Santa Monica during the 1920s. With steeply angled rooflines, asymmetrical and irregular massing, and the rounded tower entryway, it is unique. The house now affirms its historic significance as an anchor amidst a rapidly changing streetscape on Adelaide Drive.
Rehabilitation Award: 143 Wadsworth Avenue
Turning a dilapidated 1905 rooming house into a beautifully restored and renovated family home took courage, dedication and attention to historic preservation principles. When the home was purchased by its current owners, it was in dire condition from neglect and jerry-built alterations, with sagging ceilings and exposed electrical wires. Historic preservation architect Winston Chappell guided the project to a successful conclusion. Wood floors, wainscoting, windows, doors and built-ins have been restored, and renovated spaces include antique décor selected by the owner. Spacious sleeping porches in the front and back were restored as sunrooms, and downstairs living areas were opened up to create a bright and welcoming Great Room, accomplished by relocating a ceiling support beam. This shingled American Foursquare house with a generous open porch is now a strong presence in the historic South Beach neighborhood.
Outstanding Volunteer Award: Kay Pattison
For more than a decade, Kay has been one of the most dedicated, talented and creative volunteers who has helped shape the Conservancy. After enrolling in the Downtown Walking Tour docent training, she became its manager, developing a loyal cadre of docents and providing the highest level of service for the public. After becoming a docent for the Annenberg Community Beach House, she developed new docent training materials about actress Marion Davies from her research at the Academy of Motion Pictures Library. She also launched the popular annual Happy Birthday, Marion! event at the Beach House. Whether costumed as Harpo Marx, leading a VIP tour, or marching in a Fourth of July parade, Kay’s contributions to the Conservancy’s success have been invaluable.
David G. Cameron Award: Carol Lemlein
Celebrating 11 years of extraordinary service as President of the Conservancy, Carol Lemlein began her involvement in the Program Committee and co-developed our signature Downtown Walking Tour. She is the face and voice of historic preservation in Santa Monica, attending nearly every Landmarks Commission meeting and countless hearings for the Architectural Review Board, City Council and Planning Commission. She has collaborated with the California Office of Historic Preservation and National Trust for Historic Preservation, and brought the California Preservation Foundation conference to Santa Monica in 2011. Among her outstanding achievements is the adaptive reuse of the Shotgun House as the Conservancy’s Preservation Resource Center, for which she helped fundraise, relocate and rehabilitate. Today, the Center welcomes and educates nearly two thousand visitors each year.
President’s Award: Sherrill Kushner
Sherrill Kushner is a founding member of the Conservancy’s Board of Directors and has made outstanding contributions, most recently as Chair of our very successful 2019 Gala. Kushner’s efforts, skills and leadership resulted in a memorable event that established a new model for the Conservancy’s fundraising to support our advocacy and educational programs. Additionally, Kushner was a leader in the rescue and restoration of the Shotgun House, an early member of the Program Committee, active in forming two historic districts and has also enriched the Conservancy’s communications and marketing over her years of service.
Historic Preservation Award: Mel’s Drive-In
The 1959 Armet and Davis-designed Penguin Coffee Shop was restored to its original use by Mel’s Drive-In owner Steven Weiss, assisted by Googie architecture advisors Adriene Biondo and Chris Nichols. The distinctive sign was meticulously repurposed with the Mel’s logo, avoiding loss of the “meritorious” status which allowed it to stand despite its lack of conformance with current sign codes. The interior’s ambience was re-established with period-specific furnishings and lighting. And the Mel’s team highlighted the Drive-In’s location at the end of Route 66.
Historic Preservation Award: Grace Akazawa & Mike Necci, 1129 Ashland Avenue
Designed by Charles Warren Brown, this classic 1916 Craftsman bungalow was a pioneering residence in Sunset Park when it was primarily agricultural. The house exemplifies classic Craftsman bungalow characteristics with its prominent cross-gable roof, wide open eaves and exposed rafter tails, post-and-beam articulation of the full-width porch, and wood cladding with heavy masonry piers. The living space has been expanded at the rear in harmony with the original architecture. The owners nominated the bungalow for landmark status last year and will apply for a Mills Act contract to ensure the house remains in pristine and authentic condition.
Historic Preservation Award: 954 5th Street
This landmark home is one of the last intact examples of the hipped roof, turn-of-the-century cottages within the boundaries of the original town of Santa Monica. The 1906 cottage was moved forward on its lot to match the setbacks of other structures on the street and enable construction of a three-story structure at the rear in 2011, but the project was abandoned. In 2015, new owners obtained a Certificate of Appropriateness for new units in a smaller rear structure with underground parking. They rehabilitated the severely deteriorated cottage, restoring the porch and original siding, and saving most decorative eaves. The rescued landmark retains its original qualities and historic character for the community.
Historic Preservation Award: R.D. Farquhar Residence, 147 Georgina Avenue
This French Beaux-arts Period Revival home was designed in 1911 by master architect R. D. Farquhar for himself and his wife, the daughter of Santa Monica co-founder, Senator John P. Jones. After it was moved from its original site at 628 San Vicente in 1952, additions and alterations were made. The current owners removed unsympathetic rear additions and modernized the house while preserving the home’s spirit. Original architectural features and materials on the façade were restored and a new rear wing created. An existing garage was repurposed as a guest house and studio, and a new garage was constructed. All rehabilitation work previously specified in the Mills Act contract for this property was revisited or upgraded.
Preservation Advocacy Award: Susan Suntree and Diane Miller with Friends of 11th Street and Mid City Neighbors
Early this year, Susan Suntree, with her co-chair Diane Miller, won a decades-long battle to designate a handful of early Santa Monica bungalows. Located between Wilshire Boulevard and Arizona Avenue, the neighborhood was zoned for multi-family development, and little remained of the original bungalows. With the support of Friends of 11th Street and Mid City Neighbors, these efforts won the support of the Landmarks Commission and this small group of early 20th century vernacular homes will continue to provide a window into the character of Santa Monica’s first Townsite tract.
Preservation Advocacy Award: Margaret Bach
A member and Chair of the inaugural Landmarks Commission beginning in 1976, Margaret Bach served again on the Commission beginning in 2006 and was appointed Commission Historian in 2014. She initiated an education program at each monthly meeting, using her research to offer portraits of various aspects of Santa Monica’s history. Her reports provided a rich context for Commission meetings and are now being shared more widely through local media, enriching our community’s awareness of local history.
President’s Award: The Bradbury Residence, 102 Ocean Way
The preservation of the Lewis L. Bradbury house was spearheaded by owners Carol and Earl Fisher with a skilled multi-disciplinary team over the course of 20 years. Successful repairs of the historic red clay tile roof and adobe walls, restoration of architectural woodwork and decorative elements were made. Seismic improvements developed by Carol Fisher and structural engineer Nels Roseland were also essential to the restoration. Assisting in the final phase of restoration were preservation consultant Matt Dillhoefer, Spectra Company and Structural Focus. Carol Fisher’s extraordinary commitment to preserving this adobe Spanish Colonial Revival house, built by renowned architect John Byers in 1923, ensures that this Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument will be enjoyed by future generations to come.
Stewardship Award: Sun Tech Townhomes Owners Association
The 18 homeowners of this 1981 Postmodern style complex, under the leadership of the past HOA president Alison Perchuk, were recognized for their exemplary work to maintain its structural and material integrity and workmanship. They secured a landmark designation, initiated by owner Maria Hopper, and a Mills Act contract with the help of preservation consultant Robert Chattel. The efforts of these owners ensure the preservation of these distinctive town homes for decades to come.
Stewardship Award: Mike Deasy, 475 Mesa Road
The Entenza House at 475 Mesa Road was built in 1939 by architect Harwell Hamilton Harris for John Entenza who, with Ray and Charles Eames, created the Case Study House Program. The house was fully restored in 2003 by Michael Folonis Architects. Current owner Mike Deasy, an urban planner, realtor and former Conservancy board member, was recognized for his passion for architecture and sensitive attention to preserving this award-winning property.
Rehabilitation Award: Tom and Peggy Neary, 19 Seaview Terrace
One of the last intact homes in this historic neighborhood was saved and rehabilitated by owners Tom and Peggy Neary with architect Summer Vaughn and contractor Mark Drexler. The exteriors of this Modern Bungalow residence were rehabilitated with minimal impact and the historic wood siding was recreated and window configurations kept intact. The interiors were renovated to bring light and air into the house for modern living. Renovations included reconfiguring exterior rear porches and small rooms for a new kitchen and family area.
Rehabilitation Award: Saint John’s Health Center, Saint John’s Health Center Foundation, Providence St. Joseph Health, Real Estate & Construction, Pacific Neuroscience Institute
Originally known as the Santa Monica Doctor’s Building, this Streamline Moderne commercial office building was originally constructed in 1952 as doctors’ offices. Dr. Daniel Kelly of the Pacific Neuroscience Institute had the vision of returning the building to its original use. A collaborative effort which included Boulder Associates Architects, Fisher Design Company, Inc., DEB Construction and Historic Resources Group enabled this outdated building to be outfitted for today’s needs to serve the community once again.
Preservation Award: City of Santa Monica, Downtown Community Plan
The City of Santa Monica was recognized for its leadership in greatly improving protections and incentives for historic preservation in its recently adopted Downtown Community Plan, ensuring the ongoing recognition of the City’s rich past.
Volunteer Service Award: Lorraine Sanchez
Preservation Resource Center docent and master gardener Lorraine Sanchez was honored for her ongoing dedication to the care of the Center’s garden as a beautiful, water-wise and insect-friendly environment, enhancing the Shotgun House it surrounds while promoting the benefits of native plants.
David G. Cameron Award: Alison Rose Jefferson, PhD
For over a decade, Jefferson has researched the history of African-Americans in Santa Monica and has educated the public on this subject, creating many projects and activities recognizing this history. These include her work on designating the Phillips Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church at 4th and Bay Streets as a Santa Monica Landmark and authorship of the text on the monument at the “Inkwell,” the historical Jim Crow era, African-American beach site adjacent to the Casa del Mar which remained an important gathering place long after racial restrictions at public beaches were abandoned in 1927. Her involvement with Heal the Bay, Black surfing organizations, the Conservancy and others in various programs and events continues to share more diverse stories about our heritage with younger and broader audiences.
President’s Award: Santa Monica Public Library
Recognized for their great historic and artistic value, the murals were restored and re-installed at the new Main Library in 2005. The Santa Monica Public Library played a key role in facilitating their return and restoration. Created in 1934-35 for our former Carnegie Library, these murals were the precursor of many other artworks placed in public buildings under Federal patronage during the Depression. Stanton Macdonald-Wright, an internationally acclaimed artist, created this mural cycle on wood panels, depicting technology and imagination in human development. When the library was demolished in the 1960s to make way for a new library building, the panels were removed and stored at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. Several decades later, City leaders, library staff and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art initiated efforts to retrieve the murals for incorporation into our new modern library. The mural paintings have been restored and an informative website has been created to enable the public to once again experience Macdonald-Wright’s creative legacy.
Stewardship Award: City of Santa Monica, Department of Public Works
The California Incline is significant as a contributing element to Palisades Park, a Santa Monica Landmark. The original connector between the bluffs of Linda Vista Park (now Palisades Park) and the beach was a dirt trail for horses and wagons. Paved over and made into an automobile roadway in the 1930s, the California Incline replacement project that was completed in 2016 maintains the historic pathway linking the city with the coastline. With pedestrian and bicycle use enhancements, the railing and the neon sign continue to be emblems from the past.
Stewardship Award: Shugi and Alexander Cassini
For over 20 years, this Mediterranean Revival style house at 2523 3rd Street was the principal residence of nationally-famed cosmetics entrepreneur Merle Norman. Designed by architect Ellis Martin in 1936, it features original wood windows, tiled patios, and a sweeping interior staircase. It also has some Streamline Moderne elements including original decorative tiling and fixtures in the bathrooms as well as a beautiful mirrored dressing room. The Cassinis have been stewards of the property, incorporating new design elements that reflect their own sense of style. Additionally, they have been generous in opening their home for Conservancy events, sharing its beauty and historic significance.
Restoration and Renovation Award: Anitra and Alan Escovitz
This Landmark Aeroplane Bungalow at 315 Tenth Street was originally built in 1912. By 2013, when Alan and Anitra Escovitz purchased the property, it was in great need of structural and infrastructure upgrades. They spent one year restoring the main rooms, replicating original moldings, restoring the front door, and recreating the wood dining buffet. A new back porch was added that replicates the depth, materials and design of the original front porch. This couple is an inspiring example of devotion to Craftsman homes and the willingness to do what it takes for a house to live on.
Rehabilitation Award: 1012 Second Street, LLC, Howard Laks Architects, and Chattel Inc.
This project is the first to be completed taking advantage of modifications to the city’s development standards for projects on parcels involving designated landmarks. These modifications made possible the creation of three additional living units without exceeding the by-right floor area and volume permitted on the site and preserving an important landmark structure from the City’s earliest residential development.
Rehabilitation Award: Lighthouse Investments, LLC, and Paligroup Management, LLC
The stylish and sophisticated Embassy Hotel Apartments, now named Palihouse, was designed by architect Arthur E. Harvey and built by Luther Mayo in 1927 in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The site has been determined to be eligible for National Register of Historic Places both individually and as a contributor to a potential historic thematic district of Elegant Apartments in the north of Wilshire neighborhood. The current owners have conserved and refurbished the building throughout. Recognized as a Santa Monica Landmark in 2003, the original windows, decorative ceilings, patterned tile work, and outdoor patio paving have been preserved.
Outstanding Volunteer Service Award: Kay Pattison, Thomasine Rogas, and Rita Schneir
The Downtown Walking Tour was the Conservancy’s first weekly tour program, founded in 2007 by Carol Lemlein with extensive mentoring by Ruthann Lehrer and the research assistance of several volunteers. These three stalwart docents from the original 2007 group have served continuously for 10 years.
President’s Award: Nina Fresco
A long-term champion of the Shotgun House, Nina Fresco has made outstanding contributions to the interpretive program at the Preservation Resource Center, including a history of the house and its preservation, the Building a Neighborhood curriculum guide, and a model of the house furnished as a Victorian-era home. In her public roles as a Landmarks Commissioner, chair of the Civic Working Group and now as a Planning Commissioner, she continues to have a great impact on City policies that protect and incentivize the preservation of Santa Monica’s historic resources.
Preservation Award: Bob Lynn and Sara Abbott, LGO Hospitality
Bob Lynn and Sara Abbott were recognized for the restoration and renovation of the 1946 Streamline Moderne commercial building at 1213-15 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, now home to Ingo’s Tasty Diner. The terrazzo floors and the eating counter have been restored, the lowered ceiling removed to reveal a dramatic skylight, and the tall “Restaurant” sign rehabilitated. Although the property was not on the Historic Resource Inventory, the owners applied for landmark status and it was designated as Groves’ Bakery/Callahan’s Restaurant in 2015.
Preservation Award: Philip Orosco, Pacshore Partners
Philip Orosco and Pacshore Partners extensively restored, updated and seismically retrofitted the1937/1946 Associated Telephone Building at 1314 7th Street. Renovated over three years, existing windows, doors, hardware, glass and stone were restored or reused, the ceiling painting in the lobby was preserved and the non-code compliant rear fire escape was replaced with a new catwalk system designed by LA-based Rios Clemente Hale architects. Two restaurants with outdoor seating, Cassia and Esters Wine Bar, revitalize the ground level. The building has achieved some of the highest lease rates in Santa Monica, demonstrating that the adaptive reuse of historic buildings can attract a strong market.
Preservation Award: Roy Burstin and Zenna Lim with Ralph Mechur Architects
An intact Spanish Colonial Revival house built in 1926 sat vacant for a number of years when Zenna Lim and Roy Burstin hired architect Ralph Mechur to remodel and expand it to accommodate their family. While all major systems required replacement, original features were carefully retained and restored. The Burstin-Lim residence is an outstanding example of a sensitive renovation and expansion of a Santa Monica home by owners who value the character, scale and history embedded in this 90-year-old structure, giving it new life and preserving it for the future.
Preservation Award: Glen Boldt and Dana Garcetti; Shimizu-Coggeshall Architects
The Boldt-Garcetti house demonstrates skillful preservation and innovative expansion that serves as a model for maintaining the scale and character of Santa Monica’s fast-disappearing historic neighborhoods. Owners Glen Boldt and Dana Garcetti hired Shimizu-Coggeshall Architects to create a sustainable family home with interior spaces reconfigured to create a unique relationship to the outdoors. Both passive and contemporary technologies were utilized, enabling the project to achieve LEED platinum certification upon its completion in 2010.
Advocacy Award: The Historic San Vicente Coalition
When the City Council gave a green light to considering a courtyard historic district between Ocean Avenue and 7th Street, this group of residents, mobilized under the leadership of Phil Brock, Phillis Dudick and Diane Miller, generated local grassroots support. In partnership with the Santa Monica Conservancy, tours of the proposed district were offered over several weekends to raise public awareness. The district was nominated unanimously by the Landmarks Commission, and designated unanimously by City Council in December 2015, a triumphant moment for successful neighborhood activism.
Advocacy Award: Founders of the Third Street Neighborhood Historic District
Faced with a threat to the historic integrity of their neighborhood in the late 1980s, residents of what is now the District banded together to research and document their neighborhood history and historic resources. They generated constituent support for the district, and presented their findings to the City in a request to become the first historic district in Santa Monica. The district was designated in 1990, more than 25 years ago, paving the way for future residents interested in protecting their neighborhood’s historic character and older built environment.
Stewardship Award: Santa Monica Canyon Civic Association for the Rustic Canyon Eucalyptus Grove (Santa Monica Forestry Station)
The Rustic Canyon Eucalyptus Grove today represents the sustained dedication and commitment of the Santa Monica Canyon Civic Association. Originally planted by Abbot Kinney, the grove became part of the first U.S. Forestry Station and is recognized as a California State and Los Angeles City landmark. The Association spearheaded the restoration of the grove, which had suffered from neglect over several decades, with financial and hands-on support, culminating in the rededication of the grove on May 29, 2014.
Outstanding Service Award: Karen Ginsberg, Director of Community and Cultural Services, City of Santa Monica
Karen Ginsberg, Director of Community and Cultural Services for the City of Santa Monica and previously the City’s Planning Manager, was recognized for outstanding service in managing City historic resources and collaborating with historic preservation partners. Ginsberg was instrumental in the creation of the Annenberg Community Beach House, including the restoration and adaptive reuse of the Guest House and the challenging restoration of the historic pool. She was also essential to the preservation of the landmark Shotgun House, identifying its final location just a few blocks north of its original site, overseeing City-funded improvements to the site and helping to overcome numerous obstacles, paving the way for the successful completion of the Conservancy’s Preservation Resource Center.
Outstanding Volunteer Service Award: Hilda Weiss, Preservation Resource Center Committee
Hilda Weiss was recognized for her leadership, dedication and effectiveness as a member of the team that managed the transformation of the Shotgun House into the Preservation Resource Center. She led planning the Center’s interiors and contributed extensive research into the history and extent of the shotgun house building type across the United States. Working with her partner Wayne Lindberg and their associate Neel Cruz, she is creating a record of the Preservation Resource Center’s development and activities, including the Grand Opening and a recent interview of members of the Neville Quintet regarding their lives growing up in Louisiana shotgun houses.
President’s Award: Doris Sosin
Doris Sosin had the idea for forming the Conservancy and, with co-founder Tom Cleys, established the organization in 2002. “I felt we were destroying a history that our children and grandchildren should have been able to experience,” she explains. Her passion for preservation and generous financial support, along with her many connections made as a long-term resident and activist in Santa Monica, continues to enable the Conservancy to thrive.
Stewardship Award: Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club
In 2014, Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club marked the centennial year of its Club- house, a Santa Monica Landmark at 1210 4th Street. Thanks to the stewardship by Club members, this important building is a veritable Santa Monica institution, gracing the heart of downtown and offering a popular venue for meetings, programs, social gatherings and community work. Recent projects include exterior and interior painting, a kitchen remodel, installation of a new special-effects light system, and most notably, the restoration of the building’s expansive glass skylight ceiling, which had been covered and protected during World War II.
Stewardship Award: Smith Pipe and Supply
Smith Pipe and Supply was recognized for more than a half century of stewardship of the 1920s-era Crescent Bay Creamery at 1545 12th Street. This distinctive Spanish Revival structure retains the original charm of its Churrigueresque style, with the elaborate relief and carved entrance, wrought iron grilles and other period details. In recent years the building has been occupied by architectural firms, having been drawn to the integrity and grace of its period design.
Project Award: Workman’s Cottage
Owners Hilda Weiss and Wayne Lindberg, architect Michele McDonough and Lichtman Design and Construction were recognized for comprehensive restoration and an addition to the residence at 1521 16th Street. The small Victorian cottage started out as a one-room home in the late 19th century and many additions were made over time. Vacant and neglected when purchased by Weiss and Lindberg, the house now reveals the different stages in its evolution and provides a comfortable modern living environment.
Project Award: Three Kit Houses
Tabit Ventures, comprised of the family members of Mark and Jill Tabit, and their realtor Julie Kirschbaum and contractor Robert Ackerbloom, were recognized for the rehabilitation of three Pacific Readi-Cut bungalows located at 1047 9th Street. Together the team discovered and celebrated the history of the landmarked buildings, once threatened with demolition, and restored their place in the community.
Project Award: Kuyama Residence
Owners Keiko and Richard Kuyama, designer Greg Flewin, structural engineer Scott Christiansen, and contractor Archisys, Inc., were recognized for their renovation of the vernacular 1911 Craftsman bungalow at 828 7th Street. The team carefully preserved and restored the exterior while making seismic and interior improvements and adding additional living space to the second story in the rear so as not to be visible from the street. The property is now designated as a Santa Monica Structure of Merit.
Project Award: Vukadinovich Residence
David and Elaine Vukadinovich and their design/build team, Synthesis, Inc., were recognized for the conscientious renovation and expansion of a distinctive mid-century Santa Monica home, designed in 1950 by architect Frederick Monhoff and located at 420 7th Street. The owners conducted research on the architect and located the original drawings in the Monhoff archives at UCLA.
Advocacy Award: The Pasqual Marquez Family Cemetery and Santuario San Lorenzo
In 2013, family members and supporters of the Pasqual Marquez Family Cemetery gathered to celebrate the dedication of “Santuario San Lorenzo,” the newly landscaped garden planted at 627 San Lorenzo Street, between the north side of the Cemetery and the street. The commemoration marked the culmination of years of effort, led by descendent Ernesto Marquez, to protect the Cemetery, the most significant reminder of our Rancho-era history.
In addition to Marquez, the award recognized Patricia Nettleship of La Senora Research Institute, land use attorney Tom Larmore, then-Councilman Bill Rosendahl and his senior counsel Norm Kulla, attorney Colleen McAndrews Wood and family members Sharon Killbride and Ernesto Marquez. Each played a crucial role in the broad community effort which has assured the future of the Cemetery and made its presence accessible to all who pass by.
Outstanding Service Award: Phillis Dudick
Volunteer Phillis Dudick, a member of the Annenberg Community Beach House Docent Council, was recognized for her contributions to the Docent Council and specifically for her role in organizing excursions which enrich the educational and social experiences of the docents with tours to sites such as the Hearst Castle, Asilomar and Sunnylands (the Annenberg estate in Palm Springs).
Restoration Award: W. P. Herbert House
Owners Kendra Sosothikul and Jonathan Ang received an award for their comprehensive restoration of 620 San Lorenzo Street, designed and built by noted Santa Monica architect John Byers in 1926. The home, also known as the W.P. Herbert House, was the first home completed in the Santa Monica Land and Water Company’s Santa Monica Canyon Mesa.
Restoration Award: Camera Obscura
The City of Santa Monica’s Community and Cultural Services Department received an award for the restoration of the distinctive signage of the historic Camera Obscura in Palisades Park. Santa Monica’s Camera Obscura dates back to 1889 and was originally installed on the beach where it was a popular tourist attraction. It was moved to Palisades Park in the early 1900s and incorporated into a new public recreation building in Palisades Park in 1955.
Rehabilitation Award: Brecht House
The landmark Brecht House on 26th Street provides an outstanding example of rehabilitation combined with compatible new construction meeting the needs of a 21st century family. Owner David Golubchik, working with dub Studio, restored the exterior of the landmark and expanded the living space with a contemporary addition linked to the landmark with a second-story bridge. This distinct American Foursquare style home, built in 1921, has unique cultural significance as the home of exiled German playwright Bertolt Brecht from 1942-1947.
Renovation Award: Hotel Casa Del Mar
The Club Casa Del Mar building was designed by Los Angeles-based architect Charles F. Plummer and completed in 1926 as one of the City’s grandest beach clubs. After the Club’s closing, the building was occupied by the Synanon Foundation and then by the Pritikin Longevity Center. Edward Thomas Company acquired the property in 1996 and, after working with Historic Resources Group on an extensive renovation costing more than 50 million dollars, reopened it as Hotel Casa Del Mar in 1999. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and stands as one of the only remaining examples of the 1920s beach clubs that once dominated Santa Monica’s coast, providing an important link to the City’s past.
Stewardship Award: Berlant Home and Studio
The Berlant home and studio, a modest two-story, vernacular commercial building built in 1910, served as a neighborhood market for more than 60 years and was considered a tear-down when purchased by artist Tony Berlant in 1976.
Working with the architectural firm of Appleton/Phelps, the interior was reconfigured as a studio and residence, an addition was constructed to the south, and the authentic features of the exterior – the large store-front windows, signage, siding materials and trim details – were preserved. “From the time of his move-in to the present day, Berlant and his wife Helen Mendez Berlant have been exemplary stewards of this wonderful little building, which lends character, texture and presence to its Santa Monica neighborhood,” noted Awards Committee member Margaret Bach.
Volunteer Award: Dwight Flowers and Ursula Kress
Volunteers Dwight Flowers and Ursula Kress received the 2014 Volunteer Service Awards. Both Flowers and Kress have volunteered since the earliest days of the Conservancy. “They both are always ready to lend a helping hand on some of the less glamorous but necessary work for the Conservancy, from preparing for an event to helping with research for a tour,” says Ruthann Lehrer, Program Committee Chair.
Restoration Award: Isaac Milbank House
The owner of the Isaac Milbank House at 236 Adelaide, and his project team received the Restoration Award for their comprehensive restoration of this iconic Craftsman designed and built in 1911 by the prominent architectural firm, the Milwalkee Building Company. The restoration included extensive research on historic materials and finishes, new wood shakes matching original in materials and dimensions, restoration of original doors and windows, and a new chimney based on the original design and finish materials. Team members were: Kelly Sutherlin McLeod, FAIA; John Griswold, Griswold Conservation Associates, LLC; Appleton & Associates, Inc., Administrative Architect; Balcorp Construction, General Contractor; David Cocke, S.E., Structural Focus, Inc.; Barbara Ashba, Ashba Engineers, LTD; Christine London, Landscape Architect; and Karin Blake, Interior Designer.
Rehabilitation Award: Community Corporation of Santa Monica for multiple properties
The Rehabilitation Award was presented to Community Corporation of Santa Monica for rehabilitating a significant number of older multi-family homes over several decades, both historic and non-historic, thereby giving renewed life to the city’s existing housing stock while fulfilling their mission of expanding access to affordable housing. The example above is 2302 5th Street, a 6-unit Craftsman built in 1912.
Renovation Award: 2240 6th Street
The Renovation Award was presented to 2240 6th Street, a modest, single-story Craftsman home, built in 1915, which was carefully restored on the exterior. The interior was beautifully modernized with a contemporary open plan. Owners John Given and Daphne Dennis collaborated with architects Hank Koning and Julie Eizenberg (KEA) to create an inspiring example for other homeowners. The builder was Charles Kuipers. The Given/Dennis and KEA collaboration first began in 1984 with an equally transformative addition that has become a studio apartment.
Adaptive Reuse Award: World War II Quonset hut
The Adaptive Reuse Award was presented to NMS Properties and their architects, Killefer Flammang, for preserving a unique historical artifact, a World War II Quonset hut, keeping its historic exterior intact while the interior was remodeled, making it a focal point for its new mixed use complex at Broadway and 9th.
Stewardship Award: Horatio West Court
The owners of the Horatio West Court in Ocean Park, Bill Creber, Margaret MacLean, Wende Watt and Barbara Whitney, received the Stewardship Award for their exceptional dedication to the preservation of this significant multiple-unit project by architect Irving Gill. The successive owners of the Court have, for over four decades, restored, preserved and maintained the four units in pristine original condition and have created a landscape setting that is compatible in spirit.
President’s Award: William and Lenore Lambert
The Conservancy’s President’s Award was presented to William and Lenore Lambert for the example set by their stewardship of the Biedler-Heuer Building at 2701-2705 Main Street, home of businesses Jadis, Paris 1900, and the Chinois-on-Main banquet hall. The Lamberts, second generation owners, approached the Landmarks Commission about the building during a discussion about the historic structures on Main Street. After it was designated, they wondered how anyone would know it is a City landmark so they recently erected a historic plaque describing its significance.
Advocacy Award: Jerry Rubin and David Conrad
Jerry Rubin and David Conrad were recognized with the Advocacy Award for their leadership in the campaign to protect and preserve the “Chain Reaction” sculpture created by Paul Conrad, a signature part of the Civic Center and Santa Monica’s first landmark work of public art.
Outstanding Service Award: Hostelling International
Hostelling International in Santa Monica received the Conservancy’s Outstanding Service Award for its ongoing support of the Conservancy’s weekly Downtown Walking Tour. The Hostel offered use of its facilities for the initial docent training in 2007. Management and staff have continued to provide use of the lobby and the Rapp Salon as gathering places for the tours and have always welcomed our docents and tour guests. The Hostel has partnered with the Conservancy on one of its most important educational programs.
Outstanding Volunteer Service: Stephen and Christy McAvoy and Dick Orton
This year’s Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service went to Stephen and Christy McAvoy. Although not residents of Santa Monica, this couple has given extraordinary service to the Conservancy. Steve has devoted considerable energy, leadership and expertise as Vice Chair of the Conservancy’s current capital campaign. Christy has been invaluable to the Conservancy’s docent program at the Annenberg Community Beach House, providing both written materials and lectures to train docent volunteers and to educate the public about the history of the Beach House.
A second Outstanding Volunteer Service award was presented to Dick Orton for his eight years of service as the Conservancy Newsletter’s graphic designer, for his many contributions of imaginative ideas and graphic skills to the Program Committee; as photographer at Conservancy programs; and as creator of the 2010 Adventures Tour.
Restoration Award: Builders Exchange Building
The Spanish Colonial Revival Builders Exchange Building at 1501 – 1509 4th Street received a Restoration Award. This building, at the southeast corner of 4th and Broadway, is widely noted for its beautiful “Churrigueresque” ornamentation. The Conservancy is recognizing architect William Dale Brantley’s restoration after the 1994 earthquake and the C. Belle Grischow Trust’s ongoing commitment to maintaining and enhancing the building.
Restoration Award: 2450 25th Street
Vincent Landay and Cheryl Clark, owners of 2450 25th Street, were selected to receive the second Restoration Award. The 1907 American Foursquare Style home, in danger of demolition, was moved from its original location at 1140 7th Street to Sunset Park. After their extraordinary initial effort to relocate and sensitively restore the home, the owners have shown an ongoing commitment to protecting its architectural integrity.
Stewardship Award: Charmont and The Sovereign
Susan Connally was honored with a Stewardship Award for her exceptional dedication as owner of the Charmont and The Sovereign, two of Santa Monica’s most iconic apartment buildings. Connally is being recognized for her continuing efforts in the repair, renovation, maintenance and enhancement of these two 1929 Spanish Colonial Revival-style buildings, designated as City Landmarks and listed on both the National and California Registers of Historic Places.
Stewardship Award: 1521 Santa Monica Blvd
A second Stewardship Award was presented to Don Kidson, owner of Busy Bee Hardware at 1521 Santa Monica Blvd, one of Santa Monica’s oldest commercial establishments. Kidson has maintained the authentic, historic character of vintage hardware store, affirming its continuing role and relevance to Santa Monica in the 21st century.
President’s Award: Ernie Marquez
The Conservancy’s President’s Award was presented to local historian Ernie Marquez for his commitment to the preservation of Santa Monica’s early history and that of the families of the Rancho Boca de Santa Monica. Marquez is the author of several books on Santa Monica history including Santa Monica Beach, a Collector’s Pictorial History and the recently published Noir Afloat about the gambling ships of Santa Monica Bay.
Outstanding Service Award: Barbara Stinchfield
Barbara Stinchfield received the Conservancy’s Outstanding Service Award for her recognition of the value of Santa Monica’s heritage as Director of Community and Cultural Services of the City of Santa Monica. Stinchfield’s leadership in balancing preservation values and other stakeholder interests has resulted in outstanding projects. These include the Annenberg Community Beach House, the strategic plan for Palisades Park as a landmark, the renovation of Miles Playhouse, and the Urban Forest Task Force, and the preservation and adaptive reuse of the 1890s Shotgun House which is slated to become a Preservation Resource Center operated by the Conservancy.
Outstanding Volunteer Service Award: Phyllis Conkle
Phyllis Conkle received the 2012 Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service as creator of the Conservancy’s receptions and parties in historic places. She has dazzled Conservancy members and friends with events that are beautifully and gracefully executed, with every detail of the refreshments, décor and logistics carefully thought through.
Restoration Award: 2424 Fourth Street
The Restoration Award was presented to Myra and Earl Pomerantz for exemplary restoration of their Craftsman Bungalow, known as the landmark John and Anna George House, at 2424 Fourth Street. This project pioneered a growing appreciation for historic preservation in Ocean Park in the early 1980s.
Rehabilitation Award: Edwin Buildings
American Commercial Equities LLC, the owner of the historic Edwin Building at 310-312 Wilshire Boulevard, received the Rehabilitation Award for preserving and rehabilitating this small-scale jewel of a commercial building designed by renowned architect Paul Williams in 1928. The building was designated as a city landmark in 2008.
Renovation Award: Case Study House #20
The Renovation Award was presented to Sam Simon, who preserved and renovated Case Study House #20, designed by Richard Neutra in 1948. This landmark of mid-Century design had deteriorated significantly over the years, but thanks to Mr. Simon who rescued and renewed it, the home continues as an important contributor to the architectural heritage.
Adaptive Reuse Award: Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica bungalow
The Adaptive Reuse Award recognized the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica for converting an adjacent Craftsman Bungalow into classrooms and meeting space for its congregation, choosing preservation and adaptive reuse to retain a link to Santa Monica’s heritage. The church, located at 1260 18th Street, is also architecturally valuable, designed by local architect John Byers in the 1920s.
Stewardship Award: Hollister Court on Fourth Street
Deborah Levin received the Stewardship Award for her dedication and leadership in preserving Hollister Court on Fourth Street, a dozen Craftsman Bungalows grouped as a courtyard complex and designated as a city landmark. Since Ms. Levin purchased one of the bungalows 17 years ago, she has worked to save the homes from demolition, protected them from inappropriate remodeling, and provided guidance to other property owners in respectful rehabilitation of the homes.
Outstanding Volunteer Service: Docents of the Downtown Walking Tour
Recognition for Outstanding Volunteer Service went to the seven docents who lead the Conservancy’s weekly downtown walking tours every Saturday morning: Julie Berger, Winston Chappell, Dorothy Jewel, Kay Pattison, Jerome Robinson, Thomasine Rogas, and Rita Schneir. The popular tour has been in operation since the spring of 2007.
Restoration Award: Barsha House
The Restoration Award was presented to Scott Lander for his ambitious restoration of Richard Neutra’s 1937 Barsha House at 302 Mesa Road. After years of neglect following its 1950s relocation from North Hollywood to Santa Monica Canyon, it is now a premier example of Neutra’s innovative modernism.
Rehabilitation Award: 2101 La Mesa
The owner of a historic John Byers house at 2101 La Mesa, Cameron Strang, received the Rehabilitation Award for restoring the original adobe façade and for renovations that respect the original spirit of Byers’ Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. Strang has retained the original scale and architectural features while updating the home for contemporary use.
Renovation Award: 404 Georgina
The Renovation Award was presented to Joy Jones, owner of 404 Georgina, an important early John Byers adobe built in 1920. Jones rescued the house from demolition and spearheaded a creative renovation that respects its original architectural character.
Adaptive Reuse Award: 211 Alta
The Adaptive Reuse Award (Residential) recognized the creative achievement of Stephen Chao, owner of 211 Alta (formerly the La Palama Bungalow Court), for converting a multi-unit Craftsman bungalow courtyard complex into a single family home, preserving its exterior architecture and streetscape presence.
Adaptive Reuse Award: 1740 Stewart Street
For adaptive reuse of a commercial property, Red Bull North America, Inc., at 1740 Stewart Street, received an award for transforming a vintage industrial building, originally used for manufacturing, into a unique and imaginative corporate headquarters. This project demonstrates a dynamic collaboration between architect, structural engineer and client.
Stewardship Award: Michele Nasatir
The Stewardship Award was presented to Michele Nasatir, owner of the Embassy Hotel Apartments at 1001 3rd Street, for outstanding dedication to preserving the magnificent Spanish Colonial Revival architecture and decorative enrichment of this landmark building.
David G Cameron Award: Eileen Fogarty
The Conservancy’s David Cameron Award was given to Eileen Fogarty, Director, and the City of Santa Monica Planning and Community Development Department. Fogarty led the way in formulating the November 2009 Draft Land Use and Circulation Element which recognizes historic preservation as a core community value, promotes historic preservation incentives, and integrates historic reservation into the planning process. This particular award is presented to individuals or organizations in recognition of their outstanding accomplishments in preserving Santa Monica’s unique heritage, and for promoting the value of historic preservation in the city.
President’s Award: Pier Restoration Corporation
The President’s Award was presented to the Pier Restoration Corporation for the 2009 Pier Centennial celebration commemorating the history of our iconic landmark Pier, with enter-taining and educational children’s programs that promoted understanding of the Pier’s history.
Outstanding Service: Ken Kutcher
For Outstanding Service, attorney Ken Kutcher of the Santa Monica law firm of Harding Larmore Kutcher & Kozal, LLP, were recognized for his pro-bono work on the Shotgun House lease negotiations and also for initiating zoning changes providing incentives to facilitate new development on large lots with small landmark structures.
Outstanding Volunteer Service: Kay Pattison
The Volunteer Service Award was given to Kay Pattison for her many contributions to the Conservancy’s popular Downtown Walking Tour and the Annenberg Community Beach House docent program. Kay, who began as a downtown tour docent, now manages the program. She volunteered for the Beach House program, independently undertook significant research into the histories of its original owners Hearst and Davies, and served as a speaker for the training program.
Restoration Award: Shangri-La Hotel
The first award went to the recently reopened Shangri-La Hotel on Ocean Avenue, frequently considered the best example of Streamline Moderne in Santa Monica. Owner Tehmina Adaya and her colleagues Dino Nanni and Marc Smith were recognized for their roles in updating the hotel while taking great care to maintain its historic character.
Restoration Award: Cottage on Ocean Avenue
The second award went to a project of a much different scale – the painstaking restoration of the last remaining beach-facing cottage on Ocean Avenue in Ocean Park by its current owners John and Donna Heidt.
Outstanding Service: Ruthann Lehrer
Ruthann Lehrer was awarded was for outstanding service and dedication to the Conservancy.
Outstanding Service Award: Jean Sedillos, Margaret Bach, Michael Hill, and Catherine Baxter
Four Outstanding Service Awards were presented to individuals who were instrumental in the restoration and rehabilitation of historic Barnum Hall at Santa Monica High School: Jean Sedillos, Margaret Bach, Michael Hill, and Catherine Baxter.
David G Cameron Award: Mario Fonda-Bonardi
The David G Cameron Award was presented to architect Mario Fonda-Bonardi for exemplary dedication to the preservation of the historic shotgun house.
Adaptive Reuse Award: 431 Wilshire Blvd
Zucky’s Restaurant at 431 Wilshire Boulevard, 431 Wilshire, LLC was recognized for its adaptive reuse project. SMC Secretary Marcello Vavala noted that the Zucky’s rehabilitation stands out for its sensitivity to the building’s original design and materials. It also sets an important example for the community of the importance of roadside commercial architecture as a historical resource and its compatibility for a preservation-minded reuse project.
Outstanding Service Award: Joel Brand and Sherrill Kushner
Two Outstanding Service Awards were given. The first went to Joel Brand for his extraordinary work as Chair of Friends of 415 PCH, a committee of the Conservancy. He developed a very effective media campaign which built a strong public constitutency in support of the city’s proposal for this public beach club at the Marion Davies Estate, 415 Pacific Coast Highway, and increased public awareness about the threatened lawsuit by the neighbors.
The second award was presented to Sherrill Kushner for her work as newsletter editor, active program committee member who has chaired two Aero Theatre movie screenings, and chair of the shotgun house committee.
2005 Awards: Jim Rosenfield and Tom Cleys
Outstanding Service Award: Jim Rosenfield and Tom Cleys
The Conservancy recognized Jim Rosenfield for his dedication and success in restoring the Aero Theatre on Montana Avenue. Rosenfield purchased the building in order to save it, while maintaining its use as a movie theater. The theater reopened in January under the auspices of the American Cinematheque.
The second award was presented to Tom Cleys, the Conservancy’s first president. Comments president Brand, “Without Tom the preservation movement in Santa Monica would not be where it is today, and likely no Conservancy as well. He has been the lifeblood of the organization.”
2004 Awards: Mirror Newspaper
Preservation Award: Mirror Newspaper
The Santa Monica Mirror has been awarded the Conservancy’s first annual Preservation Award for the newspaper’s ongoing series of articles entitled “Landmarks & Treasures,” featuring both famous and little-known Santa Monica historic sites. The award was presented to Mirror Publisher Michael Rosenthal at SMC’s annual membership gathering on Sunday, May 8, 2004.