Henry Weaver House
- Known As
- Milwaukee Building Company
- May, 1, 1989
This masterpiece of Craftsman architecture reflects awareness of homes constructed in Pasadena by Charles and Henry Greene and others. Using natural materials of wood and clay (brick), its horizontal orientation hugs the earth, with layers of low-pitched grable roofs and extended eaves conveying a sense of shelter. The massive wood beams used in the post-and-beam construction and exposed structural work are signature elements of Craftsman design.
The Milwaukee Building Company, founded in 1905, is famed for notable Craftsman houses in the Los Angeles region. The striking house at 236 Adelaide (Milbank House) is also their work. The firm later changes it name to Meyer and Holler, and is best known today for designing Grauman’s Chinese Theater and the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood. Another Craftsman home of their design in Santa Monica is located at 222 Palisades Avenue.
Under a prominent gable, dark shingle cladding and glazed cream-colored brick enclose a deep front porch, a virtual outdoor room framed by elaborate wood porch piers. The glassed-in sunroom at the west is original. Through a natural wood front door with diamond-paned beveled and leaded glass window, one enters directly into the spacious living room with a massive arched brick fireplace as it centerpiece. Unique Morrish-influence arches crown a band of tall narrow windows. The interior features extensive use of wood as beams, cornices, and wainscot, and built-in furniture. The dining room is a symphony in wood, displaying particularly fine craftsmanship.
Henry Weaver was a wealthy and prominent hotel owner from the Midwest, who retired to Santa Monica. When constructed, the house was featured in the Sunday Los Angeles Times Real Estate section, September 4, 1910. The house cost $13,250, very expensive for its time.
This house suffered considerable damage in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, and has been restored. It is a Santa Monica Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989. The owner holds a Mills Act contract for the property, providing financial compensation for preserving and restoring a historic house through property tax abatement.