Sacred Places Tour
This event is in the past
October 07 1:00pm – 5:00pm, 2017
- Santa Monica, CA
Fifteen historic places of worship throughout Santa Monica will be featured at our annual architectural tour on Saturday, October 7, from 1-5 pm. Sacred Places will explore the architectural beauty, history and culture of churches, chapels and a synagogue. Selected for their historical significance, and cultural diversity, these sites are also located in different parts of our City.
Established in 1875, just months after the City’s founding, First United Methodist and First Presbyterian both began as small wooden chapels downtown and later evolved into major modern architectural landmarks. Also downtown, St. Augustine’s rose from the ashes of a disastrous fire in 1966 that destroyed the original 1887 wooden church. Nearby, St. Peter and St. Paul Coptic Orthodox offers a glimpse into ancient Eastern Orthodox traditions.
Our City’s oldest African-American church, Phillips Chapel was founded in 1906. The church adaptively reused a former school building, later remodeled in the 1940s to include commemorative stained glass windows. It was designated as a Santa Monica landmark in 2005 to honor its centennial. The large scale of Calvary Baptist Church, also serving African-Americans, reflects its former mid-City population base prior to construction of the freeway.
Two churches with predominantly Latino congregations will be featured: St. Anne, founded in 1908, which has an outdoor shrine; and Iglesia el Sermon del Monte, which meets in a building originally built as a Baptist church in 1919 with magnificent stained glass windows.
The tour is self-driving and great for biking. It is suggested that guests download this map to select a check-in location and plan their tour, as time may not permit visiting all 15 locations. At check-in, you will receive a wristband and a detailed brochure with the map.
Tickets are $25 for members and $30 for the public. Members of the site congregations and of the Santa Monica History Museum will also receive a special discounted rate. Tickets purchased at check-in will be $30 for members and $35 for the public.
List of Tour Sites:
- First Presbyterian, 1220 2nd St. *
- Iglesia el Sermon del Monte, 2nd and Hill Sts.
- Church in Ocean Park, 235 Hill St.
- St. Peter and St. Paul Coptic Orthodox, 1245 4th St.
- St. Augustine By-the-Sea, 1227 4th St.
- St. Monica Catholic Community, 725 California Ave.
- St. Paul’s Lutheran, 958 Lincoln Blvd.
- First United Methodist, 1008 11th St.
- Unitarian Universalist Community, 1260 18th St.
- Pilgrim Lutheran, 1730 Wilshire Blvd.
- Beth Shir Shalom, 1827 California Ave.
- Phillips Chapel, 2001 4th St. (open only from 3-5 pm)
- Mt. Olive Lutheran, 1343 Ocean Park Blvd. *
- St. Anne Church & Shrine, 2011 Colorado Ave. *
- Calvary Baptist, 1502 20th St.
Check-in locations are designated with *.
We thank our sponsors!